Sunday, February 6, 2011

The week of February 7 - 11

My plan for using the iPads in class this week will focus on working with the new Pearson eText app.  This app has been updated and looks much better than the original version I was presented with in November of 2010. 

 My students and I experimented with  using the eText on Friday as a part of our warm up time.  Our explorations were very successful and I made the decision to use it as a regular part of our warm up time when appropriate.

Here are some of the discoveries we made.  
1.  You can view the eText one page at a time or two pages at a time.  As a group we decided that viewing the eText two pages at a time was much less confusing.  A great example of this is when you view a map of the United States in the single page view you only see half of the county.  Using the two page view made the maps in the book much less confusing.

2.  The kids think the highlighter function is cool, but many don't understand how to use it.  

3.  None of my students, or I, could figure out what the eye icon was for.  If you know what this icon is for please post!






3 comments:

  1. Lincoln, I was wondering about the eye icon, also. I've emailed our Pearson contacts to find out, and will let you know as soon as I hear back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to following your blog as I am just beginning to assist a teacher with integrating a set of iPads into a middle school reading class. I'm sure I will learn a lot from your posts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My students are always asking me when they will get to use the ipads. I always say that Mr. Whitaker would LOVE to have you in his class :)
    I am intrigued by the ipads with comparing them to using the touches.
    Have you ever just touched the eye icon to see what happens? Maybe it makes school end earlier!

    ReplyDelete